Maternity Pay Contract Worker

Many women in the workforce today are classified as contract workers, rather than permanent employees. While this designation can afford some benefits, it can also lead to uncertainty when it comes to maternity pay.

Maternity pay is the amount of money that a new mother receives while she is on maternity leave. In the UK, all permanent employees are entitled to maternity pay, but the rules are different for contract workers.

In general, contract workers are not entitled to maternity pay from their employer. However, they may be able to claim Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from the government if certain conditions are met:

– The contract worker must have worked for the same employer for at least 26 weeks by the time she reaches the 15th week before her due date.

– The contract worker must earn an average of at least £120 per week.

– The contract worker must give her employer notice of her pregnancy and her intention to take SMP.

If these conditions are met, the contract worker can claim SMP for up to 39 weeks. The amount of SMP is currently £150.20 per week (as of April 2021), or 90% of the contract worker`s average weekly earnings if this is lower.

It`s important to note, however, that some contract workers may not meet the conditions for SMP. In this case, they may be eligible for Maternity Allowance (MA) instead. MA is a government benefit that provides similar financial support to SMP, but it is paid directly to the contract worker rather than through her employer.

To qualify for MA, the contract worker must have been working for at least 26 weeks out of the 66 weeks before the week her baby is due. She must also have earned at least £30 per week for at least 13 of those weeks.

The amount of MA is also £150.20 per week (as of April 2021), or 90% of the contract worker`s average weekly earnings if this is lower.

While the rules around maternity pay for contract workers can be complex, it`s important for new mothers to understand their rights and options. If you are a contract worker and you are pregnant or planning to have a baby, be sure to speak with your employer and/or a government benefits adviser to determine your eligibility for SMP or MA.